Thursday, July 8, 2010

Herceptin.......again

Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts - it's what you do with what you have left. ~Hubert Humphrey

I had my herceptin infusion yesterday. There were no problems with the port and I am happy about that. It seems to have started working again without any intervention. I am glad about that because I was not looking forward to a surgery to fix or replace it. Even though that was the easiest surgery I have had so far I am thrilled to skip it.

They drew my blood and ran the counts. I am happy to report that almost everything is in the normal range. Some things are just in the normal range, but they are there. I thought that they might not be because of the recent surgery. They told me I would lose a lot of blood because of it and I think that was true because I had significant bruising, but, it didn't hurt the counts.

The herceptin makes me a little achy. It feels a bit flu-like. It usually clears up in a few days. All in all I am doing everything with very little disruption. I have lost three toenails since the breast cancer walk. I think another one might be going. I put nail polish on the skin where the nails are missing so its not too obvious.

I am amazed every time I go to the chemo place. There are so many people there who are so sick they look like they are dying. I keep wondering how I ever ended up in a place like that. I don't look sick and I really feel normal. To me this just feels like one more annoying thing I have to do. Maybe I am naive, but I really try not to think about things that could happen and just stick with the here and now when it comes to this disease. The other day someone called me up and said they heard I had cancer. I said, "well, I HAD cancer. I like to believe it is gone and will never come back."

No comments:

Post a Comment