Thursday, March 28, 2013

Failed Hearing Test

I took Jack to the ENT today. They examined him and agreed that he has a submucous cleft palate. Then they did a check to see if he had fluid in his ears. He did not. Then they did a hearing test and he failed it. Completely failed, no response.

I was hoping that the failed hearing test was due to fluid in his ears from the cleft palate. Apparently that is not the case. You can have cleft palate and be deaf and it is looking more and more that that is the case with Jack.

We have to go for another hearing test on April 15th. That is an ABR hearing test. They can see if his auditory nerve is working and where the problem is that is causing him not to hear.

I am overwhelmed by this to say the least.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this. More hoops to jump through. Of course, hearing or not, he's perfect as he is. Luckily, for many types of hearing loss, better and better therapies are available. I've got my fingers crossed for Jack, but I know he'll be an awesome kid whether he hears or not. xoxo

    ReplyDelete