Sunday, November 14, 2010

Herceptin Tomorrow

I have herceptin tomorrow. It might be my last one but I am not sure yet. I have a ton of appointments set up but I believe I should only need one or two more treatments to get to a year. I started it on December 7th last year and each dose I get is a three week dose.

I still have pretty severe muscle pain. My chemo office says it is not from the herceptin but the women I speak to through breastcancer.org who are on herceptin seem to be experiencing the same symptoms. My quads feel like I have been doing squats for hours. My knees and hips ache. I am ok with this if it is as much of a wonder drug as they say. I just don't get why they keep saying these symptoms are not from this drug.

I am told that it can take between 4 and 6 months for the drug to clear from the body. However, people who have been on it are telling me they started to feel a lot better after two months. That would be great. My doctor had discussed the possibility of me doing a clinical trial for a drug that is similar to herceptin but it is taken orally. It may be closed for stage one people but I will find out soon. I have mixed feelings about doing it. I would love to get over the side effects and move on, but I would also like the extra insurance. If it is in fact closed for stage one patients that will decide for me. I guess I will find out soon.

Julianna and I have been busy. We are working on all the normal things, toilet training, grocery shopping, playground hopping, etc. She continues to amaze me and lights up my life. Her favorite phrase is "I do myself, you no do." She recently figured out that I have a name other than Mommy. She was yelling "MaryEllen" from her crib the past few days and I have to tell her that my name is Mommy to her. It does crack me up though. She is lots of fun.

Thanks everyone for all the support!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment